· Provides overall leadership and management to the Basic Law Enforcement Program and in-service Training program curriculum development/review including ensuring establishment of effective student learning outcomes and related assessment methods
· Develops class schedules and faculty assignments in coordination with division chair and area faculty.
· Supports Basic Law Enforcement and in-service Training students through the academic program ensuring retention and graduation.
· Provides oversight of program budgets and inventory for all supplies and equipment.
· Participates in the college hiring process; orients new full- and part-time faculty to program practices.
· Participates in providing evaluative feedback to faculty/staff regarding job performance.
· Supervises and mentors’ part-time faculty to ensure academic quality and consistency.
· Identifies/promotes professional development for self and staff.
· Maintains knowledge of current industry standards by developing relationships with industry leaders, experts and companies.
· Continuously evaluates national, regional, and local workforce trends in the law enforcement field and in accordance with the NC Criminal Justice Education Training and Standards Commission and the NC Sheriff’s Education and Training Standards Commission.
· Assumes direct instructional responsibility for components of the Basic Law Enforcement Program, in-service, and law enforcement curriculum in accordance with established college guidelines.
· Coordinates outreach and develops/maintains relationships with industry-related personnel and employers to promote the advancement of industry employment for graduates.
· All other duties as assigned by the President or designee.
· Prepare & teach departmental courses to include:
· developing learner centered lesson plans
· employing teaching strategies & instructional materials for different learning styles
· incorporating, as pedagogically appropriate, current technology in classroom, distance learning and laboratory environments
· creating and modeling a quality learning environment that supports a diverse student population
· preparing, distributing and utilizing instructional support materials, including course syllabi, supplementary materials, instructional media, and other devices as appropriate
· updating and revising curriculum to maintain currency
· developing new courses as needed to support the instructional mission
· participating in the development and review of course and program/general education outcomes as appropriate
· developing, conducting, and documenting appropriate assessment of student learning outcomes in courses and programs/general education as appropriate
Maintain a professional status that supports the instructional mission by:
· participating in professional development activities to maintain currency in field; maintaining current credentials or licensures as required by program or accreditation
· participating in professional development opportunities to advance teaching skills and strategies
Provide daily & ongoing oversight of facilities, equipment, and student records to include:
· maintaining classroom and laboratory spaces including upkeep of assigned equipment
· providing for the security of facilities, equipment and instructional materials, and maintaining safe working conditions
· maintaining student records (e.g., grades and attendance) in accordance with established deadlines using a variety of technology-based programs (e.g., Colleague, WebAdvisor, Moodle)
· complying with all applicable college, state, and federal rules and regulations
Provide an environment conducive to student success to include:
· conducting recruiting activities
· providing academic advising
· promoting retention/persistence by assisting students to develop strategies for success
· assisting students with the registration and graduation process
· referring students to campus and community resources when appropriate
Support college-wide endeavors to include:
· collaboration with faculty and staff from other divisions/departments to promote communication, coordinate schedules, and support student success
· serving on department, division, and college committees
· participating in GTCC institutional initiatives
· collaborating with educational partners, business/industry, and/or external agencies as appropriate to promote the instructional mission of GTCC
· supporting collegiality and teaching excellence by actively participating in the professional development of new and veteran faculty (e.g., mentoring and peer observation)
· participating in extracurricular student activities/clubs
· attending college professional development sessions, college/division/department meetings, graduation, and convocation, as required.
· Demonstrate and model the College’s employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility, and teamwork