||2017 - 1581|
Contracts for regular positions are renewable each June 30th after successful completion of probationary period.(Unless otherwise specified)
The person in this position reports to the Director of Physical Plant and is responsible for the following:
1. Custodial Services – Management of Custodial Services supervisors and custodial staff; procurement and management of a $1.3 million Custodial Services contract; procurement and inventory management of Custodial Services supplies and equipment; inspection of facilities for compliance with target APPA standards and reporting to the Director of Physical Plant monthly; assigning and insuring timely completion of incoming Custodial Services service requests; procurement and management of annual exterior pressure washing and window washing contracts along with other small annual custodial blanket contracts as assigned by the Director of Physical Plant.
2. General Building Maintenance – Management of General Building Maintenance supervisor and maintenance staff; procurement and inventory management of maintenance supplies and equipment; assigning and insuring timely completion of incoming General Building Maintenance service requests; develop scope, bid, award and manage one time small renovation projects as assigned by the Director of Physical Plant; oversight of small general building projects that are performed by the General Building Maintenance staff; procurement and management of annual painting contract and other small blanket contracts as assigned by the Director of Physical Plant.
3. Waste Stream Management – Work with various department heads and GTCC Purchasing Department to develop scope, bid and manage annual contracts with outside vendors to provide services for collection and disposal/recycling of the following types of wastes generated by the college: general trash, cardboard, paper, plastic, hazardous chemicals, petroleum products, tires, batteries, scrap metal, fluorescent ballasts and tubes, electronic waste, medical/biological waste, food waste, secure document shredding. Develop and manage a comprehensive plan for handling the college’s waste stream to the most safe and economical manner possible for the college.
4. Event Setup/Teardown – Obtain requirements for scheduled college events from the GTCC events scheduler and coordinate event setup/teardown and cleanup needs between all involved departments including, but not limited to, Custodial Services, General Building Maintenance, HVAC/Electrical Maintenance, Grounds Maintenance and Information Technologies Services; manage annual contract with temporary labor service for furniture setup/teardown personnel.
5. Surplus Furniture and Equipment Management – Management of General Maintenance staff; oversight of routine furniture and equipment moves performed by General Maintenance staff; management of storage, inventory and sales of surplus furniture, equipment and vehicles performed by General Maintenance staff; assigning and insuring timely completion of furniture/equipment move service requests; procurement and management of annual third party off site storage warehousing contract and other small blanket contracts as assigned by the Director of Physical Plant.
* Supervise and evaluate all assigned staff members
* Review and approve all payroll and hourly leave forms for assigned staff
* Conduct interviews and provide recommendations for hiring of staff in assigned areas.
* Provide and track training of all assigned staff.
* Manage all Custodial Services activities to ensure a clean and safe environment for faculty, staff and students. Inspect facilities to insure compliance with the college’s target APPA standards and report results to the Director of Physical Plant monthly.
* Manage all General Building Maintenance activities. Develop scope, bid and oversee small renovation projects as assigned.
* Act as the college’s Waste Stream Manager to ensure all waste streams generated by the college are handled in a safe and economical manner.
* Monitor and coordinate all special event setup/teardown and cleanup activities for the college to aid in the success and satisfaction of the end user.
* Manage General Maintenance staff and oversee routine college furniture and equipment moves. Oversee inventory, storage and sale of surplus college furniture, equipment and vehicles.
* Requisition supplies and services for all assigned areas.
* Assign and insure timely completion of incoming service requests for assigned areas.
* Work in close coordination with the Construction Department on the design, development, equipment reviews, technician training, and start-up of new/renovation building projects.
* Work non-routine schedule in essential and emergency situations such as extended hours or call-backs for emergencies, snow removal, or other conditions.
* Demonstrate and model the college’s employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork.
* Serve on college committees as assigned.
* Perform all duties as assigned by supervisor.
· Ensuring the college’s target APPA goals are met.
· Coordination of furniture moves, general building maintenance activities and small projects with college faculty and staff to minimize disruption of college activities and work.
· Conflict resolution within the department and division.
· Providing staff development opportunities.
· Remaining current with new trends and technology.
· Developing specifications for Request for Proposals for contracted services and renovation projects to satisfy the needs of the end user.
· Keeping current on government regulations concerning waste collection and disposal and insuring the college is in compliance.
· Daily: General Building Maintenance supervisor, Assistant Director of Physical Plant, Grounds Maintenance manager, Risk Manager, CMMS planner/scheduler concerning service requests.
· Daily: Event schedulers concerning facilities arrangements and coordination.
· Daily: Administrative assistants concerning payroll, invoices and contracts.
· Daily: students, faculty and staff concerning end user needs.
· Several times a week: Project Manager for contracted custodial services for status updates, service request and cleanliness issues.
· Several times a week: Contractors concerning renovation projects updates/issues.
· Several times a week: Director of Physical Plant for status reports, updates.
Educational & Certification Requirements:
· Bachelor degree in Business Administration, Industrial Technology, or related field. Equivalent experience or a combination of equivalent education and experience will be considered.
· National Executive Housekeeping Certification preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Professional Experience:
· Minimum 5 years of experience in supervising building maintenance services for educational (preferred) or commercial facilities. At a minimum this will include experience in the operations and supervision of custodial, building maintenance and waste management services. Additional experience in event management is also preferred. All candidates must have a minimum of 3 years’ senior supervisory experience with building maintenance operations.
· Ability to read and interpret construction blue prints and specifications.
· Ability to read and interpret regulations such as safety rules, OSHA related issues and procedure manuals.
· Proven experience in the oversight and management of service contracts and small (less than $500,000 in value) construction contracts.
· Proven budget responsibility experience for all budgets commensurate with the areas of past operational responsibility.
· Experience in waste stream management preferred.
· Excellent communication skills, good computer skills, excellent customer service skills.
· Effective team member, ability to work different shifts and campus locations as required.
· Flexible and able to adapt to changing work environment.
· Able to work with minimal supervision.
· Demonstrated professionalism in providing exemplary quality and quantity of work.
· Ability to work any and all shifts, campuses or workdays.
Departmental/Job Specific Requirements:
· Participation in job related enrichment seminars, workshops, and GTCC classes is encouraged. Participation and successful completion of federal, state, or locally required training including but not limited to Blood borne Pathogens, HAZMAT, Chemical Safety, Emergency Action Plans, Asbestos Awareness, Emergency Equipment (fire ext.) First Aid, PPE, Reporting Practices, Anti-Harassment, and Personal Information Protection Training.
· Ability to operate as part of a trained emergency response team at a moment’s notice.
· Ability to work at times other than scheduled hours.
· Ability to work in inclement weather, i.e. snow removal, etc.
· Ability to hear, talk, walk, stoop, bend, climb and stand for durations as required to perform assigned duties.
· Due to the nature of job, an acceptable criminal background report is required.
· Valid North Carolina driver's license and acceptable driving record are required.
· Subject to the following environmental conditions: Both indoor and outdoor work in all seasons; exposure to elevated heights, high noise levels, fumes, shop conditions (dust, dirt, grease), and hazardous materials.
· Ability to climb stairs and ladders required.
· Work requires carrying objects or loads that weigh between 20 and 50 pounds.
**All GTCC job descriptions reflect duties and responsibilities of the particular job and are subject to change with limited notice.
Open until an adequate pool of applicants is received
How to Apply:
A GTCC application must be submitted in order to be considered.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an application form.
When applying for a position that requires a degree, copies of unofficial transcripts must be attached to a completed application.
*If your education credentials are from a country outside of the United States & if you are extended an offer of employment you
will be required to submit a translation/evaluation of your transcript.
Application for Evaluation is available:
1. By clicking the Login link at the bottom of the screen.
Or, if you are logged in
2. By clicking the Review & Submit Application button at the bottom of the screen.
ALL EMPLOYEES PAID BY DIRECT DEPOSIT ONLY!
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, GTCC is strongly committed to diversity & welcomes
applications from all qualified candidates, particularly minorities and faculty under-represented
in higher education. EOE
Applicants must be immediately eligible to work legally in the United Sates at the time of application. Guilford Technical Community College does not sponsor any VISAs.