||2016 - 1430|
Contracts for regular positions are renewable each June 30th after successful completion of probationary period.(Unless otherwise specified)
The jobholder performs a variety of essential grounds maintenance activities at all GTCC campus locations providing a safe, attractive, and functional site for students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
* Assist other skilled landscapers and grounds workers in day to day tasks including but not limited to mowing, trimming, edging, blowing, pruning, fertilizing, pesticide application, aerating, seeding, planting, bed preparation, trash pickup, trash can changing, and all other duties deemed necessary by Grounds Manager.
* Operate all assigned equipment properly and safely, reporting any mechanical problems or breakdowns to the supervisor immediately. Perform preventive maintenance and minor repairs on departmental equipment and tools as prescribed.
* Complete or assist in the completion in all assigned work orders or service requests.
* Notify Grounds Manager or Senior Groundskeeper of issues affecting the aesthetics or functionality of all GTCC campuses.
* Work under supervision of Grounds Manager or Senior Groundskeeper as assigned.
* Adhere to established work schedule.
* Complete assignments in a safe and timely manner.
* Attend any professional development days, seminars, lectures, field days, or training to enhance his/her ability to perform ongoing duties.
* Demonstrate and model the College's employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork
* Perform all duties as assigned by supervisor.
* Completing grounds tasks independently
* Daily: Grounds Manager and Senior Grounds Worker regarding job status updates, operational problems, safety issues
Educational & Certification Requirements:
* High school diploma, GED certificate or similar demonstration of basic academic skills.
* Possess NC Pesticide Applicator License or ability to obtain one within nine months of employment.
* Diploma or Associate Degree in Turfgrass Management, Landscape Architecture, Horticulture, or related field preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Professional Experience:
* 3 years grounds maintenance including mowing, trimming, edging, blowing, pruning, mulching, turf care, landscape installation, grounds equipment operation etc.
* Knowledge of grounds maintenance practices.
* Knowledge of grounds equipment operation, care, and maintenance.
* Skill in the operation of trucks, vans, and powered equipment.
* Ability to learn the care requirements of campus lawns, plants, and trees.
* Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with co-workers, staff, supervisors, students, and the general public.
* Ability to lift and carry heavy bulky objects up to 70 pounds.
* Ability to walk, kneel, stoop, and crawl.
* Ability to work at times other than scheduled hours, on call when necessary.
* Ability to work in inclement weather, i.e. snow and ice removal, storm damage, etc.
* Ability to take directions, follow instructions, and independently accomplish tasks with minimum supervision.
Departmental/Job Specific Requirements:
* Valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record.
* Successfully complete all required training including but not limited to the following: anti-harassment, personal information protection, emergency action plans, CPR, first aid, noise and hearing conservation, forklift operation and safety, crane/hoist safety and personal protection equipment etc.
* Work requires mostly standing and walking.
* Work requires carrying objects or loads up to 70 pounds.
* Some (30% - 70%) exposure to hazardous chemicals, filth, fumes, adverse weather, or personal health and safety risks.
**All GTCC job descriptions reflect duties and responsibilities of the particular job and are subject to change with limited notice.
Open until an adequate pool of applicants is received
How to Apply:
A GTCC application must be submitted in order to be considered.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an application form.
When applying for a position that requires a degree, copies of unofficial transcripts must be attached to a completed application.
*If your education credentials are from a country outside of the United States & if you are extended an offer of employment you
will be required to submit a translation/evaluation of your transcript.
Application for Evaluation is available:
1. By clicking the Login link at the bottom of the screen.
Or, if you are logged in
2. By clicking the Review & Submit Application button at the bottom of the screen.
ALL EMPLOYEES PAID BY DIRECT DEPOSIT ONLY!
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, GTCC is strongly committed to diversity & welcomes
applications from all qualified candidates, particularly minorities and faculty under-represented
in higher education. EOE
Applicants must be immediately eligible to work legally in the United Sates at the time of application. Guilford Technical Community College does not sponsor any VISAs.