Duties Related to Not for Profit Entities:
* Team with business partners on proper setup of and adherence to business processes for multiple non-profit entities.
* Review reporting for non-profits and
* Ensure accurate and timely month-end and year-end close processes.
* Review and audit expenditures for compliance with donor, grant or contract requirements, governmental rules and regulations, proper account classifications, established college policies/procedures and conformity with accepted accounting principles.
* Prepare reports and analyses as needed for monthly, quarterly and annual reporting including budget reports, board reports and regulatory reports.
* Verify accuracy of sales tax returns prepared by the Accountant, NFP.
* Coordinate year-end audits by obtaining quotes from potential auditors, reviewing quotes, assisting with reference checks and making recommendations for auditor selection.
* Review schedules for year-end audits, review audit documentation from external auditors, provide feedback as needed and coordinate presentation of final audit.
* Research unrelated business income and other tax regulations and make recommendations to management on any potential issues/resolutions.
* Ensure that all deliverables comply with regulatory guidelines and professional standards.
Duties Related to Internal Controls:
* Review changes to narratives as submitted by different areas and make recommendation to accept or modify those changes.
* Review test results and make suggestions to management related to results.
* Prepare risk assessments and define scope of narratives and testing due for the year.
* Review all year-end documentation and prepare conclusions for senior management. Participate in and lead year-end meetings associated with EAGLE process.
* Assist Internal Controls Specialist in issues that may arise during the process.
* Identify and recommend processes to ensure proper internal controls for College and related non-profit entities.
Supervise staff which includes recruiting, training, delegating assignments, organizing and managing the distribution of workloads. And conducting performance appraisals.
Demonstrate and model the College’s employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork.
Complete special projects or other duties as may be assigned.
Serve on committees and work teams as assigned. Difficult Challenges:
* Reviewing Financials and Tax Returns to determine if each entity is in compliance with the IRS code, NC state regulations, and GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles) reporting.
* Determine when governmental accounting standards versus financial accounting standards apply and to which entity each applies.
* Working in a fast paced environment.
* Handling conflicting/changing priorities. Contacts:
* Daily: Controller re status of items within areas of responsibility
* Daily: Foundation Office and GIRC project leads re questions, reports, updates
* Several times a week: AVP Business and Finance / CFO re guidance
* Daily: Staff re mentoring and planning
* Various: Members of Business Office and Financial Aid to manage internal controls assessment